What is IELTS?
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) measures the language proficiency of people who want to study or work where English is used as a language of communication. It uses a nine-band scale to clearly identify levels of proficiency, from non-user (band score 1) through to expert (band score 9).
IELTS Academic or IELTS General Training
IELTS is available in: Academic – for people applying for higher education or professional registration, and General Training for those migrating to Australia, Canada and the UK, or applying for secondary education, training programmes and work experience in an English-speaking environment. Both versions provide a valid and accurate assessment of the four language skills: listening, reading, writing and speaking.
IELTS Coaching in Lucknow, Computer-delivered IELTS
IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training are designed to cover the full range of ability from non-user to expert user. The Academic version is for test takers who want to study at tertiary level in an English-speaking country or seek professional registration. The General Training version is for test takers who want to work, train, study at a secondary school or migrate to an English-speaking country. The difference between the Academic and General Training versions is the content, context and purpose of the tasks. All other features, such as timing allocation, length of written responses and reporting of scores, are the same. IELTS Academic and General Training both incorporate the following features:
- IELTS tests the ability to listen, read, write and speak in English.
- The speaking module is a key component of IELTS. It is conducted in the form of a one-to-one interview with an examiner. The examiner assesses the test taker as he or she is speaking. The speaking session is also recorded for monitoring and for re-marking in case of an appeal against the score given.
- A variety of accents and writing styles have been presented in test materials in order to minimise linguistic bias. The accents in the listening section are generally 80% British, Australian, New Zealander and 20% others (mostly American).
- IELTS is developed by experts at Cambridge English Language Assessment with input from item writers from around the world. Teams are located in the US, Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and other English-speaking nations.
- Band scores are used for each language sub-skill (Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking). The Band Scale ranges from 0 (“Did not attempt the test”) to 9 (“Expert User”).
What’s in the exam?
|Listening||40 questions||Approximately 30 minutes (plus 10 minutes’ transfer time)|
|Reading||40 questions||60 minutes|
|Writing||2 tasks||60 minutes|
|Speaking||3 parts||11–14 minutes|
The Test Report Form, content, timing and structure of the test is the same whether you take the test on paper or on computer and the Speaking test is always face-to-face with a certified IELTS Examiner.
If you choose to take computer-delivered IELTS, you will take the Listening, Reading and Writing test using a computer. All aspects of the test are identical to paper-based IELTS.
Locations and test dates
Test takers can take IELTS in more than 140 countries and in over 1,200 locations. There are up to 48 test dates available per year. Each test centre offers tests up to four times a month depending on local demand. The Academic version is available on all 48 dates per year and the General Training version is available on 24 dates. There used to be a minimum time limit of 90 days before which a person was not allowed to retake the test. However this restriction has been withdrawn and currently there is no limit for applicants to retake the test.
Why BSL for IELTS Preparation?
The British Council offers IELTS (International English Language Testing System), the world’s leading English language proficiency test, Cambridge English exams at various levels, and a wide range of academic and professional exams that are internationally recognized. British School of Language is official Partner with British Council for IELTS Exam Registration and Preparation. We are the most reputed and oldest institute for IELTS and other English Language proficiency tests in India. We have 100% record of getting our students their desired score in IELTS Exam.
Even if your English Grammar and Communication Skills are not good enough we have extended programmes for you which include Theoretical English Grammar, Spoken English, Conversation Practice and Personality Development. You will be trained on all aspects of English and along with that you will be constantly exposed to the newest trends in contemporary English. By the time you are finished with your English curriculum, you will be started on IELTS specific training which covers all four sections of the exam.
IELTS in Lucknow, all locations